Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Gripes with the LSB

I have very little understanding of what the LSB people are trying to do, but I've always thought it a good thing. The idea that there are several levels and that an application can decide how much of it is required seems like a good idea. But over the last few months I've come to dislike it somewhat. It started when I installed nagios on a new Debian Testing system. Nagios depends on lsb-core, which in turn depends on a few things that seems utterly insane to me. For example, it depends on both lpr AND lprng or cupsys-client. I can live with cupsys-client, but I haven't used lpr in years. It also depends on alien, which in turn depends on rpm.

This means that in order for me to have nagios installed on a server, I also need to install a print server that won't be used, a package management program that won't be used, and a package converter that won't be used. This seriously messes with my need to keep my systems clean and minimal.

It would seem that the LSB was obviously designed with Redhat type systems in mind. This is the only reason I can think of for a dependency on alien and rpm. I suspect what is required is simply a lower level (lower than core?) that does not depend on insane things you should never need to install. Either that, or lsb-core will not be adopted by debian package maintainers who have similar feelings. Not sure if there are any though...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home