Thursday, November 10, 2005

Relativism and Christian Rock

So I had an argument again today with a more religious friend of mine. To put this into context, I have to say that this was the good sort of argument where we throw arround ideas, although he tends to take it rather personally. I also have to say that I am also a religious person.

This argument was a spill-over from another, whether it might be wrong for a certain type of person to listen to a certain type of music. Why you may ask? Well, certain people believe Christian Rock is an oxymoron (a contradiction in terms).

In any case, I believe that we can apply Romans 14:13 in many of these cases. I believe that many people listen to this sort of music and find it spiritually uplifting. Personally I will never find rock spritually uplifting. Nevertheless, the question would be whether it could be okay for one person to listen to christian rock, yet at the same time have another person regard it is a stumbling block and/or a sin.

Of course at this point my friend yelled "That's relativism!" How can it be right for one person and wrong for the other?

The problem I have with this viewpoint, is that it would seem to suggest that there is something wrong with me for avoiding christian rock music, even though to me it is a stumbling block. My parents are even more old-school. It would imply that their discrimination AGAINST Christian Rock is unjustified.

The only conclusion I can come to is that sometimes, when used for the right purposes, this sort of relativism is appropriate. When is that? I don't know, you tell me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home