Saturday, January 20, 2007

Server Upgrade Blues

Last night I spend more than three hours in Hetzner's Data Center upgrading two machines. What a frustrating job it was.

On the first machine I had to replace the single 2.8Ghz processor with two new processors, which mean I had to get the old one out first. I could not get the heatsink off because a one of the four screws jamned in the stud fixing it to the chasis. After removing the whole main board form the case I finally got the new processors and harddrives in. Still need to do a BIOS upgrade though, it complains about missing microcode and you need to push F1 before it will boot.

On the second machine -- an Intel rackmount model -- I had to install another SATA drive. But it seems the motherboard/backboard combination only allows two SATA drives. It looks like you can set this in the BIOS, but no ammount of twidling worked, so I had to give up on this one.

At least I finally met Hamish in person. And he lent me a hand with the particularly difficult cpu replacement. There is something to be said for someone who'd stay there until past nine and still be willing to help. Thanks Hamish!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home