Monday, January 29, 2007

The night I saw a ghost

I recently remembered this incident again. I was in grade 5, in primary school. At the time it was still customary for children to go on a week of "outdoor school", once in grade 5 and once in grade 9. This week would be spent in the outdoors (as you would expect), learning about nature, going on long hikes, although a small percentage of time was spent on lectures about life and morality. This yearly event usually took place either at Swakopmund on the west coast, or in a small town called Aus in the Namib dessert close to Lüderitz.

One of the things we did was called the night march, which consisted of hiking through the dessert at night. On this evening, I recall seeing some hundred paces away the silhouettes of two men. One was trying to pick the other up onto his back. At the time I was too tired to be bothered by it, today I often put it down to it my fertile imagination. But it does make some sense. The germans fought the english in this area during the second world war. I can sort of understand how a wounded man might have been helped by a fellow soldier. Maybe, just maybe, this scenario keeps replaying itself in the distant Namib...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home