Monday, April 23, 2007

Conclusion of the MP9 saga

So I took the car for it's MP9 reset this morning. It turns out that all my throttle body cleaning over the weekend was for naught. After resetting the computer and attempting to recalibrate the throttle body it logged another error. I had to replace the throttle body anyway.

I learned a lot of interesting things while we were doing this. The most interesting bit is the communication between the fuel injection computer and the immobiliser. When you turn the car on, the fuel injection computer talks to the immobiliser and asks it to authorise this starting attempt. The immobiliser then reads the transponder chip in the key and authorises the request. The scary bit is that you can obtain a replacement ECU without this authorising code straight from the factory. Stealing this car is as easy as swapping out the ECU. At least your average amateur doesn't carry a spare ECU with him.

1 Comments:

Blogger tumbleweed said...

Yes, I had an AA mechanic tell me about that way to steal VWs, while he disabled *my* immobiliser (by easily unplugging one plug).

:-)

22:55  

Post a Comment

<< Home