Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Outlook and Authenticated SMTP

Every now and then I am completely taken aback by the sheer idiocy that is Outlook. Perhaps more aptly called Outbreak. This morning we were having issues with authenticated SMTP. I telnet to port 25 and it tells me:

250-AUTH GSSAPI NTLM DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5


The logs tells us outlook is trying to use NTLM, so we disable it:

250-AUTH GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5


This causes outlook to switch to no authentication at all. So we somewhat unwillingly turn on plain text auth:

250-AUTH GSSAPI LOGIN PLAIN DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5


And what do you know, it starts using LOGIN. From experience I already know outlook cannot do PLAIN either.

So you mean to tell me that outlook only supports NTLM and LOGIN?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home